Kenneth

Default Does wheat pumpernickel exist?

On 11 Jan 2004 16:13:57 -0800, (Ron) wrote:

>I have made an authentic pumpernickel from 100% rye, baked for 20+
>hours at around 220 F. and it's virtually indistinguishable from the
>German import sold in stores. Now I'm wondering what would happen if
>you gave the same 20+ hour/220 F. treatment to whole wheat, or even
>other types of flour.
>
>Has anyone tried this with 100% whole wheat?
>

>Ron

Hi Ron,

Well, it would not be pumpernickel... but...

The constituents of (true) pumpernickel are rye, water, salt, and
culture.

It is rather like asking "Could I make beer with grapes instead of
malted barley?" It would not be beer, but it might be something
wonderful. <g>

My guess would be that if you used the pumpernickel approach with
wheat doughs they would not set up into a loaf. My understanding of
the reason that it works with the rye is that the starches gelatinize
and hold it all together. Wheat has a significantly different
chemistry. At those very low (for wheat bread baking) temperatures I
don't think that anything would "cook."

Of course I might be wrong. But tradition in these matters usually
teaches us something worth noticing.

If you do decide to give it a try, please let us know of your results.

All the best,

--
Kenneth