Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Karen C. Karen C. is offline

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

"Tutall" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, first couple of hours not just the first one is the

normal
> concensus. But as to your question on how meat can be

oversmoked?

> What I've observed is that the smoke will condense and leave a

layer
> directly on the meat itself. I'm pretty sure that it's this
> condensation is what most people refer to when they say

something was
> oversmoked.

It did seem as if the inside of the meat had a good smoky flavor
to it, too, but that may be just because I included a bit of the
bark in the mix.

I think our challenge is going to be that DH likes things a lot
smokier than DH or I do. I only used a small portion of the bark
when I pulled the pork (because the rest of it was tough), but DH
saved the discarded bark for himself. It was waaaaaaay to smoky
smelling for my taste, but . . .

Karen C.