Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default I Need Help Increasing My Sourdough's Flavor

On Sep 5, 5:54 pm, Mike Avery > wrote:

> Every time I hear someone complaining about a KA, I find that either
> they don't actually have a KA or they haven't actually read the KA's manual.

Mike... I wasn't complaining about KAs, I said that the machine
doesn't laminate gluten like the S&F's. And I said that lamination was
important for structure. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

In my opinion... KA's dough hook does not develop gluten as well as a
simple, cool, bulk ferment. I do not deny the machines are very
useful. I have two of them and have read the manuals and even torn
them down for cleaning. I like them. They mill my flour, roll my
pasta, grind meat, mix things... I just don't use them for kneading.

> A recurring theme among beginning bakers is a fear of handling sticky
> dough.

So true. And a recurring solution is to let the dough rest and
hydrate. Also, it helps if it is well salted, as in 1.8 to 2 percent.
Properly salted dough is less sticky. Another useful procedure is to
amend your flour. Incorporating 8-10% white wheat whole grain flour
does wonders. It approximates the new "artisan", lower extraction
flour that King Arthur (and others) are promoting. Our all purpose
flours are too highly refined and that contributes to stickiness.