Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Planning a BBQ

Saara wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >

> <snipped>
> > Finally, there will be a few vegetarians there. Can you think of any
> > veggies that barbecue well? (no need to snicker!) I heard about using
> > a hard squash and throwing it in the smoker... thought that might be fun.

> Tofu (nigari) smokes up quite well. Onions, garlic, nuts, olives,
> eggplant and zucchini, all sliced, take to it too. I wouldn't leave any
> of those on for more than an hour. Finish, if needed, in the oven or on
> the grill.
>
> Alternatively, a dip into a balsamic vinegar-olive oil marinade and a
> quick grill will also be a good treatment for the veggies.
>
> --
> Saara
> http://skagitfoodshed.wordpress.com/

Peppers certainly smoke and grill well, so some variant of a roasted
pepper humus would probably go over well with pretty much everyone.
Asparagus grills well also as does eggplant. A sandwich of grilled
eggplant topped with fresh roasted peppers and a garnish of grilled
asparagus on a nice roll spread with some of that humus sounds pretty
good to me and I'm not a vegetarian.

If they are vegetarians vs. the really loony vegans, the usual potato
salad, pasta salad, cole slaw and whatnot should be acceptable. Fish
might be acceptable as well (all the vegetarians I know eat some fish),
so salmon and trout smoke very nicely.