Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

On Sep 4, 7:41 pm, "Karen C." > wrote:
> "Dan" <intrceptor@gmaildotcom> wrote in message

> > The consensus is that when cooking pork butts or beef
> > brisket the smoke only penetrates the meat during the first

> hour or so.
>
> I do recall reading that someone in the group had said the meat
> will only take on smoke the first hour. But then I wondered how
> that could be, considering people have said you can over smoke if
> you're not careful.

Well, first couple of hours not just the first one is the normal
concensus. But as to your question on how meat can be oversmoked?

What I've observed is that the smoke will condense and leave a layer
directly on the meat itself. I'm pretty sure that it's this
condensation is what most people refer to when they say something was
oversmoked.