Bob

Default BBQ-Bob's Sourdough Bread

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:49:36 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>> http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

>Nice crumb on the bread.

Thanks. It has been an odyssey for us all.

>I was thinking the other night about your baking in a bowl.

I have tried the pyrex bowl and now the chrome-[lated metal bowl.

>I was wondering if you used a baking ring instead you might get the results
>you desire with a more standard shape.

I assume by "baking ring" you mean a springform pan. If so, I gave
that some thought, and almost bought one, but Ol' Crockpot Adams
posted his pan bread and that inspired me to try this variation.

>It could rise in the ring on a
>baking sheet and then be slashed and baked.

The thing that is of concern is the slackness. If you let the dough
get loose, it will go frisbee on you in a heartbeat.

>I suppose you could take
>the ring off partway through baking, but I don't know why that would be
>necessary.

I believe it would be absolutely necessary to set the loaf. If you
removed the ring before setting the loaf, the raw dough would frisbee
on you.

>Anyway, the rings aren't too expensive and are available in
>many sizes. Might be fun to play with.

May I recommend that you experiement with a very slack dough. One of
the many advantages of this hobby is that it costs so little money to
try things out. Make a very slack dough and see what happens when you
try what you suggest. Be sure to let us know, because as I said above,
I like the idea of a spingform ring.