Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Karen C. Karen C. is offline

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> Sorry Karen, but IMO he is right.

I ain't EVEN gonna tell him you said that <g>.

> People spend too much time trying to keep
> the temp in too small a cooking range. If the pit wants to cook

at 305° let
> it, don't keep fussing with it trying to keep it lower. If you

think it is
> too high make a smaller fire.

That's the problem; he made a stinkin' bonfire! I had to shovel
some of it out. I think what was really making it blaze was the
big hickory chunks. He had about four of them that were each the
size of a Pepsi can.

> I have cooked 100's if not 1000's of BUTTS and I doubt if any

one of
> themwere cooked under 300°, most in the 325° range.
> Let it rock, you will like it anyway.

Thanks! I'd like it a lot better if it were a good hunk of
brisket, though <g>.

Karen C.