Posted to alt.food.sushi
Gerry[_3_] Gerry[_3_] is offline

Default Shrimp Sauce or other dipping or "drizzle" sauces.

On 2007-09-01 06:40:50 -0700, John Doe > said:

> On Aug 30, 12:50 am, Gerry > wrote:
>> On 2007-08-29 12:51:00 -0700, "James Silverton"
>> > said:
>>
>>> Apart from over-scrupulous thinking about it, what's wrong with blood
>>> in cooking?

>> Apart from what makes it disgusting? I guess that's about it. Just like
>> a lot of adults don't want to eat bunnies and sheep, though if you fed
>> them blind they'd love rabbit and lambchops.
>>
>>> I suppose some people might not like to have it for religious reasons
>>> but blood sausage is eaten in Europe (don't the British like "black
>>> pudding"?), blood is used in some French sauces etc.and lot's of people
>>> like their steak very rare!

>> I was reading in a Scandanavian cookbook about Danish blodpudding and
>> it sounded like it would taste great. Reading about it's preparation?
>> ("Continue to stir constantly so the blood won't congeal") Not so
>> much. But Mr. wolf, in humor or otherwise, has dismissed a few
>> cuisines to a purgatory, at least temporarily, because of some
>> referential aspect.
>>
>> Like there was a story about a guy who knew somebody what ATE A DOG!!!
>> So Korean food, BBQ, rice porridge, seafood pancakes, tofu soup and all
>> get the summary evaluation: Barf: Dog burgers.

> About 20 years ago, I was shown an article written by, of all things,
> a Veterinarian. The article was explaining that dog was actually a
> very healthy, nutritious and tasty thing to eat.
>
> I will tell you that at the time, I thought that a veterinarian who
> would write such a thing stuck me pretty funny. Why would a person who
> is entrusted with the care and well-being of all animals would say
> such a thing?
>
> Of course, Vets take care of chickens, cows and pigs too. They also
> eat them.
>
> In many countries, dogs are seen as lots of things other than as
> domestic pets.
>
> In the 1970's, I had an occasion to eat dog that was served by a
> Korean family to me as a guest in their home.
>
> At the moment I was eating it, I was unaware that it was dog. It was
> served in a meat salad much like kimche, but with meat added.
>
> The kimche was fresh, not fermented, and as lots of Korean dishes, it
> was pretty spicy. The flavor of the dog was pleasant and light. The
> texture was a tight grained meat with almost no fat, no gristle and
> very tender.
>
> It reminded me of a center cut pork chop in flavor and texture.
>
> Lots of people keep horses as pets also, but they can be bought in
> many countries as food as well. When I was in Germany, it was
> available in butcher shops for human consumption.
>
> Bunnies. Millions of bunnies are kept as pets by children and some
> adults. I love eating bunnies.
>
> I'm rather surprised that folks in a group for sushi would have an
> aversion to eating unusual foods. Sushi itself has many, many unusual
> items included in it's fare.

As werewolf points out upstream, ostensibly it wasn't the dog that was
off-putting, but the rumor/inuendo/myth that the dog was tortured
before death inorder to produce more tasty enzymes/hormones or
whatever. The implication was that torturing the animal before death
would make it taste better.

I think that's a total crock of shit, and would like to read any
article (if someone posseses such a link) that indicates that. It
sounds like PETA/SPCA agit-prop. All good things to them and their
cause(s), but I don't believe this. In fact I have read the opposite
regarding beef; that if the cattle is terrorized in a slaughterhouse
environment prior to being butchered, their adrenalin/body chemistry
makes for inferior taste but it is a minor distinction and one that
simply can't be addressed in a large commercial venture.

Now I didn't hear that from a guy who knew a guy, I saw it in a story
related to (of all things) autism in a 60 minutes program years ago.

Both may be false I don't know. My only perspective is that a Korean
somewhere tortures dogs as a tenderizer, it doesn't change my interest
in the whole of (accessible) Korean cuisine.

> Now, don't get me wrong. I won't be going to anyone's house,
> scratching poochie behind the ears and slicing it's throat. But if dog
> were available as a meat in my country, I'd eat it once in awhile.
> It's good.
>
> Eaten much the same as Kobe beef is, I can imagine that many of you
> would like it.

It's logical that those animals we have most closely associated with
personally would be difficult to eat. I figured that was one of the
reasons for 4H--to torque children's brains where they could find a way
to understand loving an animal, and then killing it for dinner. I
assume this is not a normal relationship to domesticated animals and
foodstuffs and has to be learned, and learned before one's brain sets
up all the logical civilized associations.
--
///---