Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tater Tater is offline

Default starting fist batch of plum wine, wheeee!!!!

well pitted and readied 30lbs of wild plums, acid tested them and they
was waaaaaay off the scale. scanned someof the recipies i had and
decided to go with one that needed less plums (I.E. add water) tasted
tart to sour. measured SG and calculated needed sugar (THIRTEEN
POUNDS!!) found I was short added all i had and got it up to 1.085 and
consider that fine for a first batch. tasted again. Much better!!
added camden, nutrient, enzyme, and am now waiting 12-24 hours to
pitch yeast, as recommended in recipies.

only Issues I have is that I had to add water to reduce acidity(which
matched in some recipies) but that means I am trying to ferment 7
galoons of wine in a 10 gallon primary, which if i recall gets you
close to foaming over, so I guess it'll sit in the bathtub till I am
confident that overflowing issues are resolved.

all in all, everything looks good, finally tastes good, and will
probably change somehow over the next 12 hours so i'll have to re-
adjust again. not worried. thanks to Gary and Jim for the handholding.

BTW, I had to start this batch today. freezers were getting full, yes
plural. plum trees look like they havent been touched, so I'll have to
hope that this batch finishes fermenting before the freezers get full
again. Might have to buy, borrow, or beg another primary and a few
secondaries to keep up with everything. barring any failures will have
100 bottles easy, maybe 200 when done. and i dont like wine much