Dick Adams

Default SLOW foods

"Bob" > wrote in message =
about kimchee:

> several squirts of fish sauce (anchovies). Add 1 bunch of green=20
> onions and that is my recipe for perfect kimchi. I give it a 24 hour=20
> room temperature fermen, and then out it into the refrigerator for=20
> the rest of the week.

24 hours is much too short. Could be consumed after 4 weeks, but=20
4 months is better. Being buried in some kind of a compost pile is
thought by some to have a beneficial effect.

> I make up two quarts a week and eat it all myself. No one else likes
> it.

That figures. It is not done yet. Well, for the mee-gooks, the fish =
sauce
could well be optional, added to taste. For the authentic kimchee =
people,
fishheads may be preferable.

> I use a much milder variety (red pepper flakes vs hot pepper flakes)=20
> and it makes the product less fiery.

Sometimes it does not seem like you are a Texan at all!

> I am an expert but because I control the ingredients.

Yeah, Bob, you are a real friggin' expert, and you are in control.

"HeatherInSwampscott" > wrote in message =

> ... I haven't made more than 2 batches, as I like my saurkraut better=20
> and I only have one crock. But in a few weeks I think I will try again =

A five-gallon food pail is good for 10 lbs. of cabbage etc. Two-gallon
one for small batches. Restaurants, especially Chinese and Pizzerias=20
throw out lots of 'em. The lids are needed -- they seal hermetically.
Good to get a wine-bubbler and stick it tightly through a hole cut in
the lid.

Kimchee is conditionally on-topic here because it is good on baloney
sandwiches made with sourdough bread and because it is based on
a lactobacterial fermentation. Email me if more details are desired.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D%lYk9.69291$jG2.3758722@bgtnsc05-n=
ews.ops.worldnet.att.net

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com

=20