Bob

Default SLOW foods WAS: Kneading and adding flour

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 00:07:57 GMT, HeatherInSwampscott
> wrote:

>I have been playing with slow fermenting ... kimchee.

The book I recommend is one I bought at a Korean bookstore in Houston:

Kimchi: A Natural Health Food
by Florence C. Lee, Helen C. Lee

The pictures alone are worth the price of the book.

Houston is much like Europe in that it is a collection of ethnic
enclaves pocketing a vast sprawling landscape. I live in an area near
a fairly sizeable Korean enclave, There are as many Korean restaurants
and grocery stores as there are Anglo and Hispanic ones.

=====

Amazon.com:

Reader Reviews
If you would like some authentic Korean recipes for Kimchi, this is a
great book! It shows exactly how to make a lot of different kinds, and
the pictures are great. I've seen some recipes elsewhere for "basic"
kimchi, but there are many, many different kinds and very few are
written anywhere.

The book DOES assume you have some basic kimchi knowledge -- like how
to ferment vegetables. There are not many books that really cover that
aspect of things. And getting some of the ingredients -- like pickled
baby fish -- requires going to a Korean grocery, perhaps with a
bilingual friend.

That said, it's worth the effort! It is very difficult to get "real"
kimchi recipes unless you know someone who makes it, and this is an
invaluable guide. And, for us Westerners, making your own means you
can vary the amount of pepper and garlic and sourness to suite your
particular taste. Kimchi really does have more bio-available nutrients
than raw or cooked vegetables, and does good things to your blood
sugar and intestinal bacteria.

Plus, it makes your meals taste better!