Bob

Default New to sourdough with a couple of questions

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:33:25 -0700, "Mike Avery"
> wrote:

>There are similar differences between flours. Most good bakers measure
>carefully, but not obsessively, and then adjust to compensate for the flour.

[...]

>So, you measure carefully, but not obsessively, and then adjust the dough
>based on your experience and what you think the dough should feel like to
>produce the bread you want.

Therefore there is no reason to be obsessed with the alleged accuracy
of weight vs volume measure, since as you and several others who claim
to be experts around here agree, you adjust the dough to produce the
bread you want.

This is so much like Gulliver's Travels and the egg-eaters that it
should be published.

I vote for volume measure because it is good enough to get near the
desired point for manual adjustment, it's much easier than dragging
out a scale each time I make bread, and the most important point is
that it is considerably cheaper than paying one hundred or two hundred
dollars for a scale accurate enough to be worth using.