Charles Perry

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Mike Avery wrote:

> This is pretty well documented. It's called a pre-ferment or autolyse.

Drat. Another million dollar idea that is already well know to
everybody but me. Well if it isn't novel, it was independent.
All of the books I own refer to autolyse as a rest before adding
salt or beginning the kneading. A span of time from 15 to 60
min.

> The result is a richer tasting bread, and one that mixes up/kneads
> more quickly.

Yup, thats the thing. Plus I find a better texture.

> sourness is, in the end, one facet of the taste of sourdough. One that
> is overemphasized.

Well, Mike, you are right, but I think we are out numbered.

> I think this is because much of the "sourdough"
> bread on the market is not at all sourdough. It's bread with lactic,
> acetic, and/or fumaric acids added. It's easy to create a sour taste with
> a few chemicals that natural organisms will have trouble competing
> with.

It ought to be against the law.

Happy Thanksgiving to Mike and All.

Regards,