Bob

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:35:43 GMT, Charles Perry >
wrote:

>My assertion, backed by personal observation, is that you can
>often improve the flavor of white bread by extending the time
>that the flour is wet.

Could you give an indication of how long one should extend the time
before diminishing returns set in. Are we talking hours, days, weeks?

>This is true whether or not you have
>introduced the sourdough culture. I prefer cool room temperature
>for this effect, but there is some gain realised by retarding the
>dough.

The problem with sourdough is that the rising of the dough depends
critically on the organisms introduced by the starter. Once they are
spent, the dough won't rise anymore. So if one leaves the dough a long
time, it will rise and then if you punch it down to shape the loaf, it
might not rise much if any.

>I don't equate flavor with "sour". In fact I don't
>understand at all the obsessive quest for "sour" that seems to be
>a quest for some.

It's mostly cult behavior. But it's cheap so people wile away the time
doing it.

I find it challenging and I find the taste to be flavorful. But I also
find commercial yeast bread to be challenging and flavorful, albeit in
a different way.

Perhaps you have never had a really good sourdough. If you happen to
come across some, put Blue Plate mayonnaise (from New Orleans) on two
slices and put sliced dill pickles on one slice. Then put a filet of
deep fried lemon-herb marinated catfish in between. You will never
experience the taste sensation of a sourdough catfish Po' Boy. It's
unforgettable.