Charles Perry

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Samartha Deva wrote:

> Sure it works great. The analogy which comes to mind is driving your car
> with the emergency brake 50 % engaged. The wheels are still turning, car
> moves - hey, pulling the emergency brake improves getting around! Anyone
> claiming differently has marbles missing. Car moves, that's the proof!

Well, if your point is that putting the dough in the refrigerator
will slow down the fermentation, you are certainly correct.
However, that may not be a bad thing even if it is not a sure way
to get "sour" in the bread. I can think of several things that
are better when prolonged a bit. Faster is not always better.

You would not think it a reasonable complaint that you were
running your oven at 50% when you bake your Pumpernickle for a
long time in a very slow oven, however strange that might seem to
a sourdough pizza maker who runs his oven full blast.

My assertion, backed by personal observation, is that you can
often improve the flavor of white bread by extending the time
that the flour is wet. This is true whether or not you have
introduced the sourdough culture. I prefer cool room temperature
for this effect, but there is some gain realised by retarding the
dough. I don't equate flavor with "sour". In fact I don't
understand at all the obsessive quest for "sour" that seems to be
a quest for some.

Regards,

Charles
--