Samartha Deva

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Dick Adams wrote:

> "Kenneth" > wrote in message news >
> [ ... ] (Who needs all the requoted data?)
>
> > The point of most rapid fermentation of the LB is approximately 93°F.

> > The point of most rapid fermentation of the yeast is approximately
> > 86°F.

> From whence those data?
>
> Is it from Gänzle et al. ?
>
> My recollection is that those studies had to do with proliferation kinetics,
> not fermentation velocity. So it could be said that, in many generations,
> the yeasts drop out at temperatures exceeding some value in the 90's.
>
> > Other things being equal, you will get more sour bread if you can hold

> the temperature at (or very close to) 93°F.
>
> Well there was a poster some years ago who said that the way to make
> very sour bread was to maintain your storage culture at high temperature.
>
> Maybe that is what Kenneth is talking about.
>
> Bread rises fine at 90°F. and 95°F. as well. Given a long enough time
> in the incubator, it gets sour finally. In my experience, that is less time
> than is required at room temperature and at 85°F.
>
> Maintaining the culture at 95°, in my experience, leads to a sickly, stinking
> mess that may possibly good for making sour bricks.
>
> Some people are still saying that the way to get your bread sour is to let
> it rise in the refrigerator.
>
> Who can we believe?
>
> --
> Dick Adams

> Some people are still saying that the way to get your bread sour is to let
> it rise in the refrigerator.

Sure it works great. The analogy which comes to mind is driving your car
with the emergency brake 50 % engaged. The wheels are still turning, car
moves - hey, pulling the emergency brake improves getting around! Anyone
claiming differently has marbles missing. Car moves, that's the proof!

> Who can we believe?

Everyone who talks the way you want to think. That's really easy.

S.

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/