Dick Adams

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

"Kenneth" > wrote in message =
news
[ ... ] (Who needs all the requoted data?)

> The point of most rapid fermentation of the LB is approximately =

93=B0F.

> The point of most rapid fermentation of the yeast is approximately
> 86=B0F.

From whence those data?

Is it from G=E4nzle et al. ?

My recollection is that those studies had to do with proliferation =
kinetics,
not fermentation velocity. So it could be said that, in many =
generations,
the yeasts drop out at temperatures exceeding some value in the 90's.

> Other things being equal, you will get more sour bread if you can hold

the temperature at (or very close to) 93=B0F.

Well there was a poster some years ago who said that the way to make
very sour bread was to maintain your storage culture at high =
temperature.

Maybe that is what Kenneth is talking about.

Bread rises fine at 90=B0F. and 95=B0F. as well. Given a long enough =
time
in the incubator, it gets sour finally. In my experience, that is less =
time
than is required at room temperature and at 85=B0F.

Maintaining the culture at 95=B0, in my experience, leads to a sickly, =
stinking
mess that may possibly good for making sour bricks.

Some people are still saying that the way to get your bread sour is to =
let
it rise in the refrigerator.

Who can we believe?

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com