HeatherInSwampscott

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Denise Craig wrote:
>It was moist, chewy, flavorful - just not sour.

Hi Denise,

I am new to sourdough breads as well, so take my advice with that in mind.

I am finding that to get the sour taste I like, I must make a sponge
with my starter and about half the flour of the recipe and all the
liquid. I then let that sponge sit out on my counter from 12 to 24 hours
(low room temp, 65 - 68 degrees F)

Then I add the rest of the flour, all salt and other ingredients, and
then knead or complete the recipe as called for.

Without the 12 to 24 hour ferment, my bread is not sour. With the 12 to
24 hour ferment, my bread is sour.

Play around, this hobby is fun!

Best,

Heather