Kenneth

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:35:20 -0600, "Denise Craig"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am fairly new to sourdough bread making and especially interested in
>Rye bread - the german style stuff. I have found the following recipe:
>
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._13754,00.html
>
>and decided to work and practise on this recipe until I'm happy with
>the results.
>I started making the chef (which is described at the very end of the
>recipe) and it seemed a little on the active side, but Samartha
>encouraged me to continue and just wait and see. So I did.
>
>I made the starter from the chef and then started to put toghether the
>dough. I have to admit that I used Whole Wheat flour instead of the 20
>percent bran wheat flour the recipe called for (couldn't find it at
>local grocerie store).
>After a few other experiments with rye sourdough bread I couldn't help
>but notice that the dough turned out great, the proofing went great,
>the baking went well. The finished bread had a nice crust as well as a
>nice crumb. When I applied pressure to the top of the bread it would
>give in about an inch or so and come right back up when I let go. It
>was neither too firm nor too soft. Just a really nice bread.
>Now I expected to take a bite and be totally amazed with the taste as
>well. It tasted great. It was moist, chewy, flavorful - just not sour.
>At all.
>What could be the reason for that? Too little starter? I only used
>about 1/3 of the chef to make the starter (as instructed by the
>recipe).
>I would appreciate any input!
>And one more question: The bread I'm aiming for is a little smoother /
>less grainy. Can I substitute fine rye (if I can find it anywhere) for
>the medium rye and bread flour for the wheat? In Germany we call the
>bread I am trying to make "Grey Bread". The bread that I made was
>actually too dark.
>Maybe someone has a recipe that comes closer to what I'm looking for?
>
>Denise

Hi Denise,

The sour taste comes from the lactobacilli rather than from the yeasts
that co-exist in the sourdough culture.

The point of most rapid fermentation of the LB is approximately 93°F.

The point of most rapid fermentation of the yeast is approximately
86°F.

Other things being equal, you will get more sour bread if you can hold
the temperature at (or very close to) 93°F.

HTH,

--
Kenneth