Denise Craig

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Hi Janet,
thank you for clearing this up for me.

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> To make your own 20 percent bran wheat flour with germ, combine 3

parts
> unbleached white flour (preferably with germ) with 1 part

stone-ground whole
> wheat flour, preferably medium or fine grind. This is easiest to do

in
> large batches--3 pounds white flour to 1 pound whole wheat--and

mixed with
> your hands in a transparent glass or clear plastic container so you

can see
> that your blending is thorough. Store the homemade 20 percent bran

flour in
> a covered container as you would any whole-grain flour.
>[...]

Now that would also answer my question about substituting part of the
whole wheat with bread flour.

Do you have any clue if it is possible that the bread is not sour
because it contains too much Whole Wheat Flour?

I totally agree with you about simplicity of ingredients. The most
fascinating part about baking my own bread is what an amazing variety
of breads can be made from just three ingredients: flour, water and
salt.

Denise