Dick Adams

Default The Biology of . . . Sourdough -- San Fran's Mighty Microbes

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.0.1069622557.204.rec.food.sourdough@m ail.otherwhen.com...

> [ ... ]

> Since you wind up with lactobacillus without adding=20
> lactose, you shouldn't bother doing it. It isn't clear to me why KA's =

> vendor put the lactose in the product, so I feel no compulsion to=20
> duplicate their efforts.

Not clear to me, either. Sometimes lactose is added to preparations
of microorganisms to be lyophilized, as a preservative. Lactobacteria
are so named not because of requiring lactose as a nutrient, but because =

lactic acid is among their metabolic products.

---
DickA