Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Advice on oil

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 28, 7:07 pm, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:
> "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > OMG! The food snob is asking for advice?

> > Here's my problem. I need to figure out what oil to use for quantity
> > preparation of pancakes and French toast. All I keep around is peanut
> > and EVOO. The OO is obviously not right. The peanut oil cannot be
> > used because it's for my son's school's PTO event, and peanut
> > allergies, you know.

> > What neutral oil should I use?

> > I don't think that canola is neutral, and soybean is downright nasty.

> > Corn is not neutral, but is inoffensive tasting.

> > Safflower is unavailable, for all practical purposes.

> > So, is it corn oil?

> Why use oil for pancakes and french toast? You want flavor. Use butter.

I was never intending to put the oil IN the batter, but we'll be using
the giant griddle in a grade school cafeteria kitchen. We'll need oil
ON the surface. There will be plenty and more butterfat in the batter
from using 40% cream.

Sheldon, of course, just assumed I was putting the oil in the batter.

His assholedness is capricious, almost random.

Sheldon clearly has a mental illness. I would bet money he is suffering
from Tourette's Syndrome. Somebody who knew him some years ago said he was
on medications for bipolar. Take it with a grain of salt. But his mental
state is quite clearly very dubious even to a layman.

Anyway,

I use Crisco for the grill. It works fabulously. Just take several layers
of paper towels or a brown paper bag, scoop up some Crisco and grease the
grill with it. Not too much, you are not deep drying the pancakes. Just a
nice thin layer to prevent sticking. If you are talking a really large
grill, take a 2 quart pot, dump some Crisco into it, set it on the grill to
melt. Then use a grill mop to grease the surface. When I was a short order
cook, we used butter flavored Crisco for pancakes, eggs, french toast,
omelets and hash browns. Crisco is very neutral in flavor and ideal for
pancakes and french toast.

Paul