Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Advice on oil

Julie Bove wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>> First, peanut oil is not an allergen unless maybe it is "cold
>> pressed" peanut oil. Refined peanut oil is not a problem.
>> However, it is expensive, plus you'll never convince some of the
>> hysterical mothers that peanut oil is safe, so you made the right
>> choice.

> Do you have a cite for that? I've never heard this before. Daughter
> has allergies to both soy and peanut but she seems to be able to have
> soybean oil with no problems. Am not going to try the peanut oil
> unless I see something to prove otherwise.
>> How about sunflower oil?

I'm having trouble finding the original source where I read it a couple
of years ago. Some sort of allergy research institute. But here's a
few recent ones:

http://www.ific.org/publications/qa/allergyqa.cfm
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aa...htm#PEANUT_OIL
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/inform...eanut_oil.html

>> I would use "vegetable oil" (soybean), and just make sure the
>> bottle was fresh.

> Ick.

Oh grow up. How much do you think the taste (or lack thereof) of the
oil affects the taste of pancakes or waffles? There's not all that much
oil. Just make sure it's not the slightest bit rancid.

Best regards,
Bob