Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Advice on oil

On Aug 28, 7:07 pm, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:
> "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > OMG! The food snob is asking for advice?

> > Here's my problem. I need to figure out what oil to use for quantity
> > preparation of pancakes and French toast. All I keep around is peanut
> > and EVOO. The OO is obviously not right. The peanut oil cannot be
> > used because it's for my son's school's PTO event, and peanut
> > allergies, you know.

> > What neutral oil should I use?

> > I don't think that canola is neutral, and soybean is downright nasty.

> > Corn is not neutral, but is inoffensive tasting.

> > Safflower is unavailable, for all practical purposes.

> > So, is it corn oil?

> Why use oil for pancakes and french toast? You want flavor. Use butter.

I was never intending to put the oil IN the batter, but we'll be using
the giant griddle in a grade school cafeteria kitchen. We'll need oil
ON the surface. There will be plenty and more butterfat in the batter
from using 40% cream.

Sheldon, of course, just assumed I was putting the oil in the batter.

His assholedness is capricious, almost random.

> Paul

--Bryan