DavidJ01

Default Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

I was thinking about using lemon, but wasn't quite sure how to use it with
such a small fruit. Maybe I'll mix up a batch of ascorbic acid, same as
what I usually do with peaches.

I bet your jars of mixed cherries look great !

David...

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
> "ellen wickberg" added:
> > wrote on 4/7/04 10:53 AM:
> > > Anyway, I was wondering about the effect of using a light colored

cherry
> for
> > > making brandied cherries? My concern is that after pitting the

> cherries,
> > > the flesh of the fruit starts to darken and may very well have an
> > > undesireable appearance. Perhaps thats what BBB calls for dark

> cherries?
> > >
> > > Could I possibly use whole cherries and just make sure I prick them?

> > Or maybe because most sweet cherries sold are bings?

> Your pitted light cherries will show less browning if you toss them with
> lemon juice as you work. The same darkening happens to darks, but it's

less
> obvious.
>
> I have just enough light and dark sweet cherries left over this year, not
> enough for a jar of each but too much to ignore. They look striking

together