Old 28-08-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
M Jones M Jones is offline

Default Storing cooked pulses

I used to use canned beans a lot until I tried fresh and preferred it.
Black eyed peas for instance I found to be much better from fresh. I have
found canned beans good when prepared in other dishes but less good as a
side dish.

I too have little problem with frozen casseroles. I'll cook up some beans
tonight and put some in a container and freeze them and see what it's like.

"Peter" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 06:42:30 GMT, "M Jones"
wrote:

Does anybody have any idea how best to store freshly cooked lentils and
beans for longer periods without damaging the texture / flavour too much?

I've never tried storing just the cooked pulses, but I often freeze
prepared dishes containing them. No problems.

As an alternative, have you tried using canned beans? They require
less preparation (ie, no soaking), and many people are quite happy
with them. I've not used them myself, but it just struck me that that
sounded like a solution to your problem.

Peter.