Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Advice on oil

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> OMG! The food snob is asking for advice?
>
> Here's my problem. I need to figure out what oil to use for quantity
> preparation of pancakes and French toast. All I keep around is peanut
> and EVOO. The OO is obviously not right. The peanut oil cannot be
> used because it's for my son's school's PTO event, and peanut
> allergies, you know.
>
> What neutral oil should I use?
>
> I don't think that canola is neutral, and soybean is downright nasty.
>
> Corn is not neutral, but is inoffensive tasting.
>
> Safflower is unavailable, for all practical purposes.
>
> So, is it corn oil?
>
> --Bryan

First, peanut oil is not an allergen unless maybe it is "cold pressed"
peanut oil. Refined peanut oil is not a problem. However, it is
expensive, plus you'll never convince some of the hysterical mothers
that peanut oil is safe, so you made the right choice.

How about sunflower oil?

I would use "vegetable oil" (soybean), and just make sure the bottle was
fresh.

Bob