Samartha Deva

Default "Another Newbie" has First Success

jeff higgins wrote:

> I haven't found a way yet to maintain consistent temperatures within
> the recommended 80f - 85f range.

An aquarium water heater in a tank does it very precise. If you want to
do it accurate and repeatable, it's probably the cheapest way of
regulating temperature with that precision. Also, many things can happen
- very interesting.

I maintain temperatures for growing starters and rising doughs with
that. You can see pictures on my Detmold 3-Stage starter process web
page, but you probably already have...

It depends what you want and what your general objective is. Everything
should go just fine with fluctuating temperatures, it just may take
longer when the temp is lower. You can make very good breads with that
"imprecision" ;-).

And - just a thought, where in nature is something constant? Things
always fluctuate, mostly...

And - I forgot to send this off this morning, so I do it now..

And - I have used bedlamps, low power lamps in a plastic pail - computer
tops, stove tops, garden sun, oven light (dangerous since too hot,
radiation was a problem besides overall heating, the dough in the rising
bowl next to the lamp, with oven full had one side almost cooking and
the dough going totally bananas one-sided, so I put a smaller lamp on a
cable in the bottom of the oven instead). The water with pump and heater
is great, I have two tanks now hooked up together - very stable in
temperature and when a swimming bread basket tanks because the loaf
rises uneven, things can get very exciting;-)

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/