Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joe[_10_] Joe[_10_] is offline

Default Food thermometer recommendation for fish

On Aug 21, 6:23 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> Joe > wrote:
> >I like to cook salmon to perfection and that means just a scintilla
> >above raw in the middle. Sometimes I get it perfect other times I
> >don't. If I really want to make sure it's the way I like it I end up
> >having to cut into it to check. Are there any thermometers out there
> >sensitive enough to give me the temp reading when I stick it into a
> >very shallow piece of fish?

> Look for one of these:
>
> http://easycookin.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=524
>
> They do just as well as my Polder digital probe thermometer
> does, and the Polder won't work in thin filets.
>
> I use the Polder for thick filets because they take longer to
> cook and it's more convenient to just put the probe in and
> come back when it beeps.
>
> With a thin filet it's easier to stick around for the 5-6
> minutes it will cook, see through the oven window
> when the fish is close, then check it with the probe and
> give it another minute if it's not quite ready.
>
> When estimating with larger pieces, the initial temperature
> will have a greater effect, so you'll be farther off. But
> there's no reason this thing can't work if you're willing.
>
> --Blair

thanks Blair, I'll pick one up. I had a Taylor thermometer with an
alert/timer and it worked great for a couple of months but then broke
down. I've heard similar stories with different brands. How long have
you had your Polder and how is it holding up?