Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joe[_10_] Joe[_10_] is offline

Default Food thermometer recommendation for fish

I like the tip about cutting off a piece the same thickness to test,
thanks. I've been cooking salmon for a long time and when just cooking
for myself I tend to err on the side of too raw - it can't be too raw
on the inside for me - the problem is my guests. I know most people
don't mind salmon overcooked - that's pretty much the only way it's
served in restaurants. But I have received accolades from guests who I
have served salmon that is pink and buttery - yet cooked - in the
middle and what I want to do with consistency is to be able to cook it
that way without destroying the steak or fillet in the process.
I will use the chunk suggestion next time but I also would like a
sensitive thermometer for my meats and breads. I've become incredible
anal about measuring and cooking food to perfection - to the point I
cannot really enjoy food that is not cooked to my liking. It's to the
point that when I get the food just right I can actually see the
difference in a person's face like they've entered another realm and I
had a hand in getting them to a place they've never been - and when I
don't perfect the cooking time it has the opposite effect - like I
just added another mediocre day to a life that already has too many.
Anyway I've found a couple of highly rated thermometers has anyone
used either:

http://tinyurl.com/27vrlu

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...tpen_home.html