Steve W

Default Starter smells like paint thinners

* Ivan McDonagh > 2003-10-27:
> Hi people
>
> As the subject indicates, I'm a bit concerned about the smell of my
> starter.
>
> It rises nicely and the last few loaves I've made with it have been yummy
> but the smell has changed. I'm hoping that this is just a change in the
> population of the bread beasties caused by using the starter more regularly
> than I have previously.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas ?

Hard to guess what might have happened without more details on how you
have recently handled your starter. Personally I don't eat anything
that smells bad. Fresh healthy sourdough culture smells wonderful!

--
Steve W
s (dot) wal (at) verizon (dot) net