Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton Blair P. Houghton is offline

Default Food thermometer recommendation for fish

Joe > wrote:
>I like to cook salmon to perfection and that means just a scintilla
>above raw in the middle. Sometimes I get it perfect other times I
>don't. If I really want to make sure it's the way I like it I end up
>having to cut into it to check. Are there any thermometers out there
>sensitive enough to give me the temp reading when I stick it into a
>very shallow piece of fish?

Look for one of these:

http://easycookin.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=524

They do just as well as my Polder digital probe thermometer
does, and the Polder won't work in thin filets.

I use the Polder for thick filets because they take longer to
cook and it's more convenient to just put the probe in and
come back when it beeps.

With a thin filet it's easier to stick around for the 5-6
minutes it will cook, see through the oven window
when the fish is close, then check it with the probe and
give it another minute if it's not quite ready.

When estimating with larger pieces, the initial temperature
will have a greater effect, so you'll be farther off. But
there's no reason this thing can't work if you're willing.

--Blair