Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen[_4_] Kathleen[_4_] is offline

Default Food thermometer recommendation for fish

Joe wrote:

> I like to cook salmon to perfection and that means just a scintilla
> above raw in the middle. Sometimes I get it perfect other times I
> don't. If I really want to make sure it's the way I like it I end up
> having to cut into it to check. Are there any thermometers out there
> sensitive enough to give me the temp reading when I stick it into a
> very shallow piece of fish?

My best suggestion is to learn to cook by touch, which takes into
account varying cooking temps and thickness. Press on the thick part of
the fish with your thumb. Cut in and visually confirm desired level of
doneness. Err slightly on the raw side - the fish will continue to cook
a little after being removed from the heat source. Repeat until you can
consistently identify properly done salmon by touch.