Default Starter smells like paint thinners

Ivan McDonagh wrote:

> Hi people
>
> As the subject indicates, I'm a bit concerned about the smell of my
> starter.
>
> It rises nicely and the last few loaves I've made with it have been yummy
> but the smell has changed. I'm hoping that this is just a change in the
> population of the bread beasties caused by using the starter more regularly
> than I have previously.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas ?
>
> TIA.
>
> ivan.
>
> if you want to contact me privately, remove the obvious

Some time ago I bought the KA New England starter. They warned me that it may
smell like "nail polish" when I got it and that it was OK for it to smell like
that.

I don't know why. Just make some bread and feed it to your mother-in-law. It
is what I call a win-win situation. ;-)

Bert