Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg ellen wickberg is offline

Default The Beat Goes On

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I just pulled 6 pints of tomato juice from the BWB.
>
> I've been cooking plums, extracting juice and freezing same for four
> days. At the moment, I have juice in the freezer for about 60 half pint
> jars.
>
> I have about 5-6 cups of milled plum puree for Plum Something, where
> Something is Butter, Ketchup, or Barbecue Sauce. Butter is way in the
> lead; the stuff is *awesome* with pork.
>
> --->>> Has anyone ever frozen pulp for later use making butter? I'd
> like to enter Plum Butter next year but would prefer to make it shortly
> before the Fair rather than now. Ellen? What do you think?
>
> I picked up my opened and judged State Fair canning entries on Sunday.
> An unopened jar of each entry was left for display. I will find out
> results on Thursday when the Fair opens; the info is a closely held
> secret until then. I had great hope for my Cherry-Berry Jam in the
> Misc lot, but it appears that they didn't take even a taste of it,
> although the jar was opened ‹ that lot had 52 freakin' entries and they
> judge only 25 lest they're there for days doing it. The other lots that
> consistently draw more than 25 entrie are Strawberry Jam, Raspberry Jam,
> and the Misc lots. There were 21 Beet Pickle entries. Ptooey! THAT's
> the one I'm interested in. My Plum Jelly has a huge gouge from it,
> which suggests good placement in the rankings. My Pomegranate Jelly
> also had a fair amount removed for tasting. There were 15 Bean Pickle
> entries. That surprised me ‹ I'd have expected fewer than that for some
> reason unknown to me. :-)
>
> Because I'm losing my mind, I don't remember if I told here that I baked
> my Chocolate Bundt Cake for the Fair TWICE. That would be because I
> forgot to put the FLOUR into the first one. When it was boiling and
> burning in the pan in the oven, I was puzzled. I actually thought I
> might salvage it for *something* ‹ until I opened the oven door and the
> smoke came pouring out. The smell was awful! JAYzuzz! Lots of sugar
> in it and lots of cocoa. P-U!
>
> The second cake is great. :-) It might have too much white drizz on
> it, though. I just posted a pic to my eboard site below.

Barb,
Since you cook the puree for quite a while making butter, I can't think
of any reason that you couldn't just freeze the puree. What could
change/happen that wouldn't be taken care of by the further cooking you
have to do with the sugar to make the butter? I haven't done it ( not
having a great amount of plum since we sold our house with tree 22 years
ago). Be sure to let us know (next year) if there is any reason not to
do this.
Ellen