Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default The Beat Goes On

I just pulled 6 pints of tomato juice from the BWB.

I've been cooking plums, extracting juice and freezing same for four
days. At the moment, I have juice in the freezer for about 60 half pint
jars.

I have about 5-6 cups of milled plum puree for Plum Something, where
Something is Butter, Ketchup, or Barbecue Sauce. Butter is way in the
lead; the stuff is *awesome* with pork.

--->>> Has anyone ever frozen pulp for later use making butter? I'd
like to enter Plum Butter next year but would prefer to make it shortly
before the Fair rather than now. Ellen? What do you think?

I picked up my opened and judged State Fair canning entries on Sunday.
An unopened jar of each entry was left for display. I will find out
results on Thursday when the Fair opens; the info is a closely held
secret until then. I had great hope for my Cherry-Berry Jam in the
Misc lot, but it appears that they didn't take even a taste of it,
although the jar was opened ‹ that lot had 52 freakin' entries and they
judge only 25 lest they're there for days doing it. The other lots that
consistently draw more than 25 entrie are Strawberry Jam, Raspberry Jam,
and the Misc lots. There were 21 Beet Pickle entries. Ptooey! THAT's
the one I'm interested in. My Plum Jelly has a huge gouge from it,
which suggests good placement in the rankings. My Pomegranate Jelly
also had a fair amount removed for tasting. There were 15 Bean Pickle
entries. That surprised me ‹ I'd have expected fewer than that for some
reason unknown to me. :-)

Because I'm losing my mind, I don't remember if I told here that I baked
my Chocolate Bundt Cake for the Fair TWICE. That would be because I
forgot to put the FLOUR into the first one. When it was boiling and
burning in the pan in the oven, I was puzzled. I actually thought I
might salvage it for *something* ‹ until I opened the oven door and the
smoke came pouring out. The smell was awful! JAYzuzz! Lots of sugar
in it and lots of cocoa. P-U!

The second cake is great. :-) It might have too much white drizz on
it, though. I just posted a pic to my eboard site below.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking