Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] is offline

Default Cruel Irony

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:55:35 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:
>>
>> Cruel irony = the pecan harvest will be diminished because there are
>> too many pecans and they're too big.

>Actually the pecan harvest will be diminished because the tree was not
>properly cared for, crop trees need to be properly pruned/trained when
>young. If the tree is mature and was there before you arrived than it
>is not anything you did, or didn't do. I would suggest a conference
>with a local arborist to discuss how to mitigate future damage or you
>can risk losing more than your nuts, you can lose the entire tree.
>
>http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS229

It's a mature tree (about 60 feet tall), and the lateral branch that
broke was far and away too high for me to reach before its collapse.
All of its branches, all of them, even the ones at the top are sagging
from the weight of the pecans. I've grown up with these trees and
I've never seen anything like this. They're sagging and snapping all
over town. This is an exceptional situation.

The little native pecans bear fruit that's too small to have such an
effect (they are totally delicious, BTW -- if you can get them out of
the rock-hard shells), but all the newer cultivars aren't fairing so
well.

One neighbor -- a retired geezer with a devotion to his pecans --
suggested getting a contraption some people use to shake pecan trees
in the fall to encourage the nuts to drop. We could use it now to get
part of the crop to drop off and save some tree limbs. Meanwhile,
I've been chopping back the last six to eight feet of the limbs that
sag down to where I can get to them to reduce the weight at the bad
end of the equation.
--

modom