Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] is offline

Default Cruel Irony

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:47:33 -0700, Reg > wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> Cruel irony this week came in the form of an overabundant pecan
>> crop-to-be.
>>
>> We came out of a nearly two-year drought this summer. The drought
>> ended decisively when more than 2/3 the normal annual rainfall
>> happened in six weeks.
>>
>> The local pecan trees, stressed by the previous months of drought,
>> have bounced back assertively with thousands of huge green pecans on
>> them, waiting to drop in October. But the weight is too great. I'm
>> losing limbs almost daily. This afternoon we came home to see a major
>> one had snapped under the load while we were in Dallas.
>>
>> Cruel irony = the pecan harvest will be diminished because there are
>> too many pecans and they're too big.

>Perhaps the upside is you can use the wood in your smoker. Pecan
>is good stuff.

True. I'll have to get my chain saw fixed for this one, though. The
big limb that broke this afternoon is well over 10 inches in diameter,
and this old boy isn't gonna cut that one with a hand saw. There are
several others that fell today, too, but I can handle them (mostly)
with a pair of lopping shears.

BTW, have you even used pecan shells in a smoker? Fine smoke indeed.
--

modom