Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Cruel Irony

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> Cruel irony this week came in the form of an overabundant pecan
> crop-to-be.
>
> We came out of a nearly two-year drought this summer. The drought
> ended decisively when more than 2/3 the normal annual rainfall
> happened in six weeks.
>
> The local pecan trees, stressed by the previous months of drought,
> have bounced back assertively with thousands of huge green pecans on
> them, waiting to drop in October. But the weight is too great. I'm
> losing limbs almost daily. This afternoon we came home to see a major
> one had snapped under the load while we were in Dallas.
>
> Cruel irony = the pecan harvest will be diminished because there are
> too many pecans and they're too big.

Actually the pecan harvest will be diminished because the tree was not
properly cared for, crop trees need to be properly pruned/trained when
young. If the tree is mature and was there before you arrived than it
is not anything you did, or didn't do. I would suggest a conference
with a local arborist to discuss how to mitigate future damage or you
can risk losing more than your nuts, you can lose the entire tree.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS229

Sheldon