Rod & BJ

Default Help with dead liquid starter needed!

"Bob"

> I could try distilled water if you think that is what is causing my
> problem.

I'd think the filter would suffice but using distilled , boiled etc. removes
one variable easily

>Or maybe I need to get "full grain rye flour" as the recipe
> indicated. I plan to go to the health food store tomorrow so I may
> pick up a bag.
>
> The rye flour I am using does not indicate if it has been treated.
> That may be the problem - the natural yeasts were killed off in some
> manner.

Always a possibility.....starting your own always has a bit of trial and
error. A good argument for trying Carls or another established
culture....But its a kick to do your own, my current starter was started
with a dark rye almost 4 years ago(quite happy with it). Both the rye
(subsequently fed with white flour) and a cracked wheat started out with a
lot more vigor than a previous attempt with bleached white. Soggy