Bob

Default Help with dead liquid starter needed!

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:24:46 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>>I haven't made any sourdough bread for
>>much longer than that, and my liquid starter seems to be
>>beyond revival.

>Take a small amount of your "dead" starter, say a tablespoon full, and
>put it in a container. To that, add about a half cup of flour, and a
>half cup of water. Mix it up, and put it aside in a reasonably warm
>place for a day or two.

>Watch it for signs of fermentation (bubbles, increased volume etc.)

>If it comes alive, repeat the process, that is, take a spoon full of
>this mixture, toss the rest, and add more flour and water as above.

>If it revives, and is fermenting strongly, you can then put it back in
>the dilute state you prefer.

>The process of very diluted feedings that I have described is called
>"washing" and has brought back some starters that I had thought were
>long gone.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that you have actually revived
the old starter and not begun a new starter from the flour-water
mixture?

IOW, if a starter is really dead, how can it be rejuvinated by any
means?