Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural,alt.animals.rights.promotion
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default skirt-boy: burden of proof not met

"Dutch" > wrote in message news:YcHwi.61577$fJ5.20746@pd7urf1no...
> pearl wrote:

> >> Or in some case the need is to *die* to protect one's loved ones.

> > In a few extreme cases. But thanks for that acknowledgement.

> The need to die in those cases is no different than the need to live,
> it's not an actual contingent requirement, it's merely a fervent wish.

People with dependants don't see it that way. Not that you'd know..

> >> In any
> >> case there is no such thing as an unqualified "need to live", it is a
> >> desire, however earnest.

> > Most people have dependants whom they need to provide for.

> No, they WANT to provide for them. People frequently die or become
> unable to provide, dependents still survive.

With a sense of emotional loss, stress, and possibly hardship.

> >> That's not what I said,

But you said that it makes sense to you, blah, blah, blah..

> > I said no *particular* food is needed.
> >
> > A non sequitur.

> It's an important point that requires acknowledgment.

It's BS.

> The arguments
> involving the word "need" are sleight-of-hand.

Nonsense.

> >> I include food from the meat category in my diet because it has proven
> >> beneficial to my health, and highly satisfying.

> > "i am a vegetarian because it IS the most healthy
> > diet FOR ME. i cured a bunch of chronic health
> > problems by quitting meat 20 years ago."
> > Dutch Nov 14 2000 http://tinyurl.com/cga8x
> >
> > "I am a 15 year lacto-ovo vegetarian, a diet I chose for
> > health reasons. Meat has certain properties that disagree
> > with me, I don't know exactly what it is, but it's OK,
> > because I enjoy spectacularly good health ...."
> > Dutch 19 Mar 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4pqjq
> >
> > "Answered already. Yes, for health reasons. On a "normal"
> > diet I tend more easily to obesity, infections, and gastric
> > problems. I can't even look at meat anymore after 17 years,
> > the aversion is in full control."
> > Dutch 27 Mar 2001 http://tinyurl.com/5emp2
> >
> > Isn't that interesting, folks. Confused? Don't be.

> LOL, who are you talking to?

Embarrassed? You should be. Who do you think I'm talking to?

> And what leads you to believe

You. Nothing. A lot leads me to not believe anything you say.

> that a
> person's physical makeup and health needs remain static?

Did you spontaneously grow claws and fangs too?

> >> There is no reasonable,
> >> rational argument which would necessitate eliminating it. Cherry picking
> >> study data will not do it.

> > So

> So stop cherry-picking.

So you admit that the data is there. Saying that the data - from
the most comprehensive epidemiological study and other large
studies, which shows that even small amounts of animal-based
'foods' causes a significant increase in chronic degenerative
diseases - doesn't represent a reasonable, rational argument, or
is "cherry picking", is not reasonable or rational, ditch, and will
certainly "not do it". But carry on trying to deny the evidence..