Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural,alt.animals.rights.promotion
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default skirt-boy: burden of proof not met

"Dutch" > wrote in message news:%bQvi.56647$rX4.37224@pd7urf2no...
> pearl wrote:

> >> It does make sense ~to me~ because I can think rationally and therefore
> >> I understand simple logic,

> > But it isn't logical. Even if were true that people only wanted
> > to live (forgetting at the very least the need to live, to provide
> > for dependants in various ways),

> Or in some case the need is to *die* to protect one's loved ones.

In a few extreme cases. But thanks for that acknowledgement.

> In any
> case there is no such thing as an unqualified "need to live", it is a
> desire, however earnest.

Most people have dependants whom they need to provide for.

> > it does not follow that food
> > is not *needed* to live, for whatever reason the person lives.

> That's not what I said, I said no *particular* food is needed.

A non sequitur.

> > (MDG! what absolute trollocks).
> >
> >> however it's not what I said. What I said was
> >> that no particular food that you can name is necessary *for survival*,

> > What you wrote "No food is "necessary"." is in response to
> > what I said about a broad category, not any particular food.

> I include food from the meat category in my diet because it has proven
> beneficial to my health, and highly satisfying.

"i am a vegetarian because it IS the most healthy
diet FOR ME. i cured a bunch of chronic health
problems by quitting meat 20 years ago."
Dutch Nov 14 2000 http://tinyurl.com/cga8x

"I am a 15 year lacto-ovo vegetarian, a diet I chose for
health reasons. Meat has certain properties that disagree
with me, I don't know exactly what it is, but it's OK,
because I enjoy spectacularly good health ...."
Dutch 19 Mar 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4pqjq

"Answered already. Yes, for health reasons. On a "normal"
diet I tend more easily to obesity, infections, and gastric
problems. I can't even look at meat anymore after 17 years,
the aversion is in full control."
Dutch 27 Mar 2001 http://tinyurl.com/5emp2

Isn't that interesting, folks. Confused? Don't be.

> There is no reasonable,
> rational argument which would necessitate eliminating it. Cherry picking
> study data will not do it.

So you admit that the data is there. Saying that the data - from
the most comprehensive epidemiological study and other large
studies, which shows that even small amounts of animal-based
'foods' causes a significant increase in chronic degenerative
diseases - doesn't represent a reasonable, rational argument, is
not reasonable nor rational, ditch, and will certainly "not do it".

> >> not beef, not chicken, not bread, not rice, not bananas nor cream
> >> pudding. They are all simply alternatives, preferences.

> > 'Analyses

> Don't be an idiot. Quality plant foods are essential for good health, no
> argument there.

Evasion, predictably. -restore-

'Analyses of data from the China studies by his collaborators
and others, Campbell told the epidemiology symposium, is
leading to policy recommendations. He mentioned three:

* The greater the variety of plant-based foods in the diet,
the greater the benefit. Variety insures broader coverage of
known and unknown nutrient needs.

* Provided there is plant food variety, quality and quantity,
a healthful and nutritionally complete diet can be attained
without animal-based food.

* The closer the food is to its native state - with minimal
heating, salting and processing - the greater will be the benefit.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicl..._Study_II.html