Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Truthful Assh0le The Truthful Assh0le is offline

Default Does WalMart really have good meats?

On Aug 12, 2:51 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
> > The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> > Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> > Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> > Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> > to really stay away from?

> The only meat I buy at Walmart is the whole packer-cut briskets and the
> frozen turkeys. And I'm looking for another source for the briskets; I
> haven't bought a brisket in almost 2 years because the price is too
> high. (almost $2 per pound at Walmart for the untrimmed ones, and about
> $4 per pound or more everywhere else for trimmed and pumped briskets.)
> Brisket ain't worth that much.
>
> Most of the meat there is embalmed (they call it "enhanced") with with
> salt and phosphate solution to make it heavier and increase the shelf
> life. And the prices are not even all that good. The whole briskets
> are the only meat there that is not pumped up (the trimmed briskets
> are). The turkeys are, but the price is good enough that I buy them
> anyway.
>
> The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
> over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
> available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

They got away with it because they were selling it to the "slack jawed
yokels" who are too ignorant to know better. People who live in
counties that have more cattle than humans, but who refer to margarine
as "butter." Folks who call evolution, "Just a theory," think
rasslin' is a sport, and that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. was one of the
greatest Amurricans ever.

You can bet that the wealthy rural folks don't buy that WalMart crap.

> Even though the meat was no good, you shouldn't have had those problems.
> Sounds to me like you cooked everything wrong.
>
> Bob

--Bryan