Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Turner[_2_] Dave Turner[_2_] is offline

Default Sand? What sand.

Bill wrote:
> In article <tdGvi.13685$eY.1820
> @newssvr13.news.prodigy.net>, says...
>> Morning folks,
>> Been following the group discussions trying to get a free education, and
>> since none of you are able to read my mind I guess I have to ask.
>>
>> On the use of sand as opposed to water in the smoker, what effect does
>> that have on temperature control? Would the unit tend to run hotter with
>> sand, or do I not understand the principal involved? I thought that
>> since water will usually hover at 212 degrees it acted as a stabilizing
>> force whereas sand can go much higher in temperature. I'm going to do a
>> rack today, and I am really interested in this because of the ungodly
>> mess that is left in the water pan to be cleaned up.
>>

> <snip>
>
> The idea is to dampen wide swings in temperature in your
> smoker with a heat sink.
>
> What happens with water is that it absorbs heat, slowing
> down the rise in temperature in your smoker. At boiling
> point it becomes steam but will still absorb heat. The
> drawback is the steam escapes out the flue wasting heat
> energy. Eventually you run dry and have to replenish,
> which further wastes heat energy by opening the door to
> fill the water pan.
>
> Sand also absorbs heat but doesn't evaporate so energy
> isn't wasted through evaporation or replenishment,
> lessening fuel use.
>
> When you open the smoker to add/remove food, add fuel,
> mop, etc., you cause a temperature drop, the heat sink
> releases heat to the smoker to bring the temperature back
> up to operating temps more quickly to lower the overall
> cooking time.
>
> They're are folks here that will tell you that heat sinks
> aren't necessary and they would be correct, they aren't.
> What I find the heat sink does for you is to allow you to
> be a bit less zealous in your pit tending.
>
> You can make good barbecue with/without water,
> with/without sand, with/without ant heatsink at all. It
> all depends on how you want to do it.
>
>> Dave
>>

> Bill

It all makes sense. The only thing that was on my mind is that I haven't
yet bothered to buy a decent smoker, so controlling temperature is not
as easy for me as for some. I have a small Char-Broil that is open on
the bottom, and has only one damper on the top. I intend to get a WSM
but have not done so yet. I grill more than anything else on my Weber
performer and one-touch, and am satisfied with the results I get, but I
need to move on to doing more barbecue.

Thanks to all for the info...

Dave