Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Does WalMart really have good meats?

Kswck wrote:
> The few times I have had meats from Walmart they have been rather tough.
> Eye round was shoe leather-yeah, I know it should be braised.
> Skirt steak tasted like broiled jerky.
> Are there any types of meats that are better than others from Walmart; any
> to really stay away from?

The only meat I buy at Walmart is the whole packer-cut briskets and the
frozen turkeys. And I'm looking for another source for the briskets; I
haven't bought a brisket in almost 2 years because the price is too
high. (almost $2 per pound at Walmart for the untrimmed ones, and about
$4 per pound or more everywhere else for trimmed and pumped briskets.)
Brisket ain't worth that much.

Most of the meat there is embalmed (they call it "enhanced") with with
salt and phosphate solution to make it heavier and increase the shelf
life. And the prices are not even all that good. The whole briskets
are the only meat there that is not pumped up (the trimmed briskets
are). The turkeys are, but the price is good enough that I buy them
anyway.

The biggest problem I have with Walmartmeat is the stuff is spilling
over to all the other stores, so that good unadulterated meat is not
available at any price. So I just don't eat much meat.

Even though the meat was no good, you shouldn't have had those problems.
Sounds to me like you cooked everything wrong.

Bob