Kim Wolf

Default Restaurant Quality

I have only been in the culinary field for a little over a year but I have
experienced many new flavors and tastes which I guess you could say have
made me a little more food taste savvy. I am shocked regularly when I
prepare something fairly extravagant for family or friends only to have the
best comment be "oh, it was good", usually only after I ask. Then they will
flip over a chocolate cake made from a box mix and some canned frosting. I
guess its just what you get used to.

"Monika1945" > wrote in message
> The chain restaurants have just about driven out the small restauranteer.

Food
> has gone from freshly prepared cuisine to junk that's served "enmasse"

from a
> food service counter hidden from the customer's view. The food served is

close
> to be AWFUL in terms of preparation, taste and freshness. Its gotton so

bad I
> can no longer find a decent place to dine out. Here's just an example to
> illustrate my point. My wife and I went looking for a dine out tonight

and I
> stopped at a Bennigan's Pub and Grill on North May Ave. in Oklahoma City.

The
> atmosphere was nice but the tables were crowded and uncomfortably close.

We
> rejected several seatings because the air conditioning was blowing cold

and the
> corners were drafty. A cute college age waitress named Heather waited on

us.
> We told her of several special requirements and to be sure to write down

our
> comments for the chef. She complied with a smile. My wife ordered baby

back
> ribs (full rack) and I ordered fish and chips, substituting a side salad

for
> the fries. We also ordered an appetizer. The appetizer was properly

prepared
> and enjoyable. Our main entrees were anything but good. My wifes rack of

ribs
> was as cold as if it had been sitting out all day or refrigerated all day

and
> not cooked at all. This type of meal is prepared in advance and of course

came
> off a steamer table or somesuch kitchen table. The cook made no attempt

> heat these before delivery hence the barbecue sauce was greasy and cold.

The
> meat was no where near eating temperature. She ordered green beans as a
> vegetable and these were cold, and rubbery. My fish sticks were anything

but
> fish! A ton of tempura batter surrounded fingers of fish. There was so

much
> breading I couldn't taste the fish. The "fingers" tasted like fish

flavored
> Twinkies. I peeled the Tempura batter away from the fish and each of five
> fingers has a hint of fish inside about the diameter of a woman's pinkie
> finger. The rest was tempura. These were the worst fish sticks I ever

ate!
> Far worse than supermarket "Grotons" which are also awful. The last time

I was
> in Ireland the fish and chips was far better fare. In total there was

less
> fish inside all of the fingers than served in one fillet at Long John

Silvers.
> I would have been better off if I'd gone there instead of Bennigans. Both

my
> wife and I were served cole slaw. I don't know who made it but all I can

say
> is it was shredded cabbage and it tasted like dry shredded cabbage. There

was
> very little if any liquid, mayonnaise, vinigar or whatever is used to make

cole
> slaw edible. Now Bennigans wants feedback as evidenced by their website.
> However they have no complaint form and no e-mail address. They expect me

> call them during regular business hours to tell them how screwed up they

are.