Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default from chipotle - a new contest

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> tbs48 wrote:

>>>As I remember, he who should not be named used to say it wasn't an
>>>a***** mexican recipe if it had cumin in it.

>> Well then, why have I often seen comino for sale in Mexican markets &
>> tiendas? This has primarily been in the northern states..
>> Maybe for chilangos, it's verboten.

> I like it and use it all the time, but, as Wayne says, that's just my
> taste, and that's what I've always thought was most important about
> cooking anyway - learning and adapting. Even Linda Gonzalez used a bit of
> it in her excellent red rice recipe, but as I remember, she lived in
> California, and I have no idea what her heritage was as far as Mexico.
> Also used of course big time in Indian and other asian cooking (for
> instance, I have a wonderful Vindaloo recipe that uses 2 tablespoons), but
> this last is OT, sorry.
> Paul

Sorry? I think your post all ties together, but yes I believe all cooking
has best been described as adapting and then adopting.

As to the cumin, I think it is mandatory in various Chili as well as used
quite a bit in Norteno Beans cooking but I looked at several cook books from
NM and as I mentioned the Jamisones' Border book. No Cumin in their Salsa
del Norte, Guajillo Mild sauce, Pico de Gallo, NM Salsa Picante, Chimayo Red
Chile sauce, Arizona Chile Colorado, Californio Colorado, Hatch Green Chile
sauce, Tubac Chile Verde, nope no cumin, now the Tex-Mex Chili Gravy and the
Ranchero Sauce in their book does have cumin. So it is just not as
prevelent as some may think it to be. Yet, I do use it quite a bit in all
my cooking to enhance and/or compliment flavor, both the seeds and powder.
Cumin, OJ and chile is my favorite combo.