Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default from chipotle - a new contest

"tbs48" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > Great recipe! The only difference between yours and my version is the
>> > cumin.
>> > I'm guessing that the cumin is something appealing to north of the
>> > border
>> > taste buds. Even to this day, cumin is slow to catch on in south of the
>> > border Mexican cooking.

>> As I remember, he who should not be named used to say it wasn't an
>> a***** mexican recipe if it had cumin in it.

> Well then, why have I often seen comino for sale in Mexican markets &
> tiendas? This has primarily been in the northern states..
> Maybe for chilangos, it's verboten.

Ever looked at D. Kennedy's and R. Bayless' books? lots of Cumin used for
"traditional" Mexican recipes. Lots of Cumin in these traditional Mole
recipes also.

The Jamison's " The Border Cookbook" has much less cumin recipes than one
would expect if the Norteno cumin myth held true.

I do note cumin is a Mediterranean plant than a tropical so maybe as Mexico
gets more Wal-marts and Costcos they will use more or perhaps just buy more
Mc Donalds and KFC.