Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg Reg is offline

Default What to do with canned pears?

Julie Bove wrote:

> I still have a few jars of canned pears left from last year. Anyone have a
> creative use for them? I used a couple of cans and made a pear crisp but it
> wasn't a big winner. I'd like to get them used up before the pears on the
> trees are ripe. Not that we're going to have enough to can this year mind
> you. Husband attacked the trees with his pruning shears and it wasn't good.

Caramelized pears

Strain out the pears and simmer the juice in a wide pan, uncovered.
It will start to darken at some point as the water cooks out and
the sugar begins to caramelize.

Add the pears back in and continue cooking until the "sauce" is
thickened and fully caramelized and the pears are cooked through.

Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream on top.

--
Reg